Child Support Modifications

Need to modify a court order for child support? Call my firm.

When a family is separated by divorce, one parent may end up paying child support to the other parent in order to provide financial security for their children. If you are paying child support to your former spouse and you have had a significant change in circumstances, you may need to file a child support modification to adjust the agreement to reflect these circumstances. Or, conversely, if you are a parent who is receiving support from an ex-spouse and something occurs that means you need more financial help for your children, a modification can be sought through the court.

As a Jacksonville child support lawyer, I have extensive knowledge and experience in all matters related to child support, including modifications of an existing court order. I know what the court will accept, and can advise you if you are hoping to make a change to a child support order. Do not fail to adhere to an existing order, or you could face legal repercussions - do it through the court system.

Modifying a Child Support Order in Jacksonville, FL

In order to qualify for a child support modification, you must show certain conditions.

These include situations such as:

  • your current child support order will not end within 6 months of sending in your request to the court
  • your child support order has not been changed in the last 3 years
  • you can show a significant change in life, such as an increase or decrease in income
  • change in the child's needs such as a child becoming disabled, ready to attend college or needing any special medical care or other similar issue

When Can I Request a Child Support Modification?

Whether you are the parent who is paying or receiving child support, it is important to understand that a modification can be requested at any time. You would only need to prove that a significant, unanticipated and lasting change has taken place after the original order was issued by the court.

So what exactly constitutes a "lasting change" under the law?

What Qualifies As a "Significant, Lasting & Unanticipated Change?"

For child support to be modified, you must typically be able to show that the change has lasted, or is anticipated to last, at least one year or longer. The change could require either an increase or decrease in the amount of child support that is currently being paid, but it must warrant at least a 15% difference or $50 per month, depending on which amount is greater.

It is also important to understand that proof of a significant change would not give one parent reason to stop paying child support. Even though they may intend to request a modification, they must uphold their financial obligations until the court order has been put into effect—if at all.

Some of the most common reasons that people request child support modifications in Florida include:

  • Increase / decrease in one parent's income
  • Increase / decrease in daycare costs
  • Increase / decrease in health insurance costs
  • One parent becomes permanently disabled
  • The child becomes legally emancipated
  • One parent receives a large inheritance
  • Increase / decrease in the cost of living

Contact a Lawyer Today

If you feel that you are in need of a child support modification, you must contact Charles E. Willmott, P.A. right away. It is best to have assistance from a legal professional when modifying a child support agreement as documents will need to be filed and how your request is presented can make a real difference. Don't let your child go without the financial support they need. Protecting your children and your parental rights could not be a more critical issue, and I will fight for the changes you need through the court.

Call my firm today and let me assist you through this process and I will do everything I can to ensure that your request for child support modification is approved.

See What our Clients Say

Dedicated to Our Clients & Their Families

  • "Charles Willmott is a dedicated professional who will speak the truth. Mr. Willmott is straightforward with his clients and is willing to listen. He can take what at times can be very messy situations and come up with a clear plan of action."
  • "I was a mess the first day I met with him; he immediately put my mind at ease and explained the different outcomes my divorce may have had. He's extremely knowledgeable, upfront, and honest."
  • "I have been a client of Charles for almost nine years, and he has never let me down. He always told me what to expect and has been right every time."
Your Family Deserves Dedicated Attention
  • Certified Family Law Mediator
  • Board Certified in Marital & Family Law
  • Nearly 30 Years of Experience in Family Law
  • Personalized Attention for Individual Needs
Contact Us Today We're Here to Help

Fill out the form below or feel free to call us at (904) 849-5183. We also offer remote video & Zoom conferences.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy