Board Certified Family Law Attorney
Call For Your Free Case Evaluation
Child Support Board-Certified Lawyer in Marital & Family Law Since 2008

Jacksonville Child Support Lawyer

Florida Child Support Modifications, Advice, Laws, & MoreChild Support Attorney in Jacksonville

If you are facing a divorce that involves children, you will probably need to work out details of child support. It is encouraged that you seek the help of a Jacksonville child support attorney who can help you obtain the child support that you will require. My firm can make sure that your rights, as either the provider or receiver, are protected, particularly after a divorce. Child support is typically given to the custodial parent who has a smaller income. It is important to ensure that the child is able to maintain a healthy lifestyle so that he or she does not have to be more disturbed by the divorce than necessary.

How Do I File for Child Support in Jacksonville FL?

At Charles E. Willmott, P.A., I understand the importance of maintaining financial security and ensuring that the livelihood of you and your family are safeguarded.

  • The first step that should be taken to is to apply for child support.
  • The amount of child support will have to be determined based on Florida Statute 61.30.
  • The amount of child support to be given depends on the number of children that need to be supported and the parties combined income.
  • Child support is then divided in the middle between both parents.

Can Child Support Be Modified in Florida?

Yes, Florida law states that child support can be modified under certain conditions:

  • Income - If one or more parent receives a raise or new job that increases their income. There is no fixed amount that justifies a modification, however the amount of support changing must be by at least 15% or $50.
  • Parenting Time - If there is any deviation that deters from the original parenting plan, then the courts may recalculate payments owed according to the actual parenting plan that is currently being exercised.
  • Expenses - There are certain expenses associated with raising a child that may require modification. These can include child care, support for the spouse, additional taxes, and health insurance for the child or parent.

If either party is not holding up his or her end of the deal, I can work with you to ensure that all child support payments are made. Additionally, I can ensure that all the necessary steps to enforcement are taken.

Can Parents Agree to No Child Support in Florida?

When parents live in separate residences, child support is generally required to ensure that each party is adequately providing for their child. In some cases, however, parents may be able to legally avoid child support by reaching a formal agreement that the payments are not necessary.

Any agreement to waive child support must be approved by a judge. The court retains the right to reject the parents’ proposal and order child support if they believe that the child needs it, or if the agreement was not entered into in good faith.

Individuals who receive public assistance from the state are not eligible to opt out of child support payments.

How Long Does Child Support Last in Florida?

In most circumstances, child support will end when the child turns 18 or graduates high school. However, support may be extended if the child is still in high school or is special needs. There is no law that sets the duration in stone, so it is important to speak with our attorney regarding this issue.

Contact me, a Jacksonville child support lawyer, if you need legal aid for child support.

Dedicated To Client Satisfaction

Hear What Our Clients Say
    Charles Was A Godsend For Me Through My Divorce!

    “Charles was a Godsend for me through my divorce. He was so sweet and kind to me but very intimidating to the other party. he didn't play games, he was straight to the point, VERY PROFESIONAL.”

    Dedicated Profession Who Speaks The Truth!

    “Charles Willmott is a dedicated professional who will speak the truth. Mr. Willmott is straightforward with his clients and is willing to listen. He can take what at times can be very messy situations and come up with a clear plan of action.”

    Charles Is A Very Impressive Attorney!

    “I was a mess the first day I met with him; he immediately put my mind at ease and explained the different outcomes my divorce may have had. He's extremely knowledgeable, upfront, and honest.”

    He Has Never Let Me Down!

    “I have been a client of Charles for almost nine years, and he has never let me down. He always told me what to expect and has been right every time.”

    Charles Willmott Provided Superb Advice & Excellent Representation!

    “Charles Willmott provided superb advice and expert representation. He replied to every question very quickly and thoroughly.”

We're Here To Help

Contact Us Today 

Fill out the form below or feel free to call us at (904) 849-5183.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.