Alimony Modifications

Alimony Modifications in Jacksonville

A Significant Change in Circumstances

Have you experienced a significant change in circumstances that may warrant changing your alimony payments? If so, contact me at Charles E. Willmott, P.A. I am a Board Certified divorce attorney with over nearly 30 years of experience in divorce and family law. I am BV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, and I formerly served as the chairman of the Jacksonville Bar Family Law Section.

If you are in need of changing or terminating your alimony payments, I have the knowledge and ability to handle your petition competently and professionally.

Florida Alimony Laws

Alimony is covered under Section 61.08 of the Florida Statutes. In a divorce, a court may grant alimony to either party in the form of bridge-the-gap, rehabilitative, durational, or any combination thereof. Alimony is awarded on a case-by-case basis and only after the court considers all relevant factors such as the duration of the marriage, the standard of living established during the marriage, the contributions made by each party, the financial resources of each party, and much more.

Life is constantly changing – that is one thing that can be counted on in family law. People move, they switch jobs, they lose their jobs, they get promotions, they remarry, they get injured, they get ill, and they have more children with new spouses. In the context of alimony modifications, usually the paying party is the one seeking to reduce or terminate their alimony payments and the receiving spouse is the one seeking more alimony.

In many cases, alimony payments can be modified based upon a significant change of circumstances. However, this is not the case with bridge-the-gap alimony, which terminates upon the death of either party or upon the remarriage of the receiving party.

Determining if your alimony payments can be modified or terminated will depend upon what type of alimony was awarded and how significant the changes in circumstances are. For instance, under § 61.4, an award for alimony can be modified or terminated upon a significant change of circumstances or if the receiving party enters into a supportive relationship.

Contact Charles E. Willmott, P.A. Today!

As an attorney experienced with alimony matters, I spend a significant amount of time addressing my clients' alimony needs and their ability to pay alimony on a regular basis. Life is full of unexpected twists and turns, some of them good and some of them bad, thus it is not uncommon for a client to need to adjust or terminate their alimony payments after their divorce is finalized.

If you need assistance changing your alimony payments, contact me at Charles E. Willmott, P.A. to discuss your case in further detail and to find out how I can help you.

See What our Clients Say

Dedicated to Our Clients & Their Families

  • "Charles Willmott is a dedicated professional who will speak the truth. Mr. Willmott is straightforward with his clients and is willing to listen. He can take what at times can be very messy situations and come up with a clear plan of action."
  • "I was a mess the first day I met with him; he immediately put my mind at ease and explained the different outcomes my divorce may have had. He's extremely knowledgeable, upfront, and honest."
  • "I have been a client of Charles for almost nine years, and he has never let me down. He always told me what to expect and has been right every time."
Your Family Deserves Dedicated Attention
  • Certified Family Law Mediator
  • Board Certified in Marital & Family Law
  • Nearly 30 Years of Experience in Family Law
  • Personalized Attention for Individual Needs
Contact Us Today We're Here to Help

Fill out the form below or feel free to call us at (904) 849-5183. We also offer remote video & Zoom conferences.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy