Name Changes

Name Changes in Jacksonville

Do you need to legally change your name?

There are many situations that could lead to an individual wanting to change names legally. This can have a profound effect on the rest of the person's life, as it can end the association with the name of another person such as a notorious family member, unwanted family connections, a former spouse or just gain a new name that is memorable or easier to spell.

Changing a name legally is a specific procedure, and I can help you with this process. The legal action taken is different for adults and minor children. In either case, my law firm, Charles E. Willmott, P.A., is able to help smooth the way and make the process easier for you.

Some of the reasons a person may want to change their name include, but are not limited to: needing a driver's license with a name that matches an informal name a person has been using due to more recent upgrades in security; wanting to change a child's name so there is no connection with someone you don't want the child to be associated with; or unmarried gay or lesbian couples who want the same surname to ease financial transactions.

There are many unique reasons why any person may want to change a name, and the process remains the same for each. If you are getting divorced, you have the right to change your name during the process without paying the court added fees for the name change.

Jacksonville Name Change Lawyers

There are several steps that must be taken when filing for a name change, whether it's for a minor child or an adult. The process includes providing fingerprints, filling out necessary forms and petitions, being in attendance at a final hearing by a judge, and going through the motions to change your name on important and legal documents that identified you by your former name. These could include your social security card, driver's license, insurance documents and others.

There can be many other steps as well, depending on the individual case. Whatever the situation is, you can be assured my family law firm will properly guide you in order to obtain a name change.

When you contact my firm, a representative will advise you of what steps will be necessary and how I can help you.

See What our Clients Say

Dedicated To Client Satisfaction

  • "Charles Willmott is a dedicated professional who will speak the truth. Mr. Willmott is straightforward with his clients and is willing to listen. He can take what at times can be very messy situations and come up with a clear plan of action."
  • "I was a mess the first day I met with him; he immediately put my mind at ease and explained the different outcomes my divorce may have had. He's extremely knowledgeable, upfront, and honest."
  • "I have been a client of Charles for almost nine years, and he has never let me down. He always told me what to expect and has been right every time."
Your Family Deserves Dedicated Attention
  • Certified Family Law Mediator
  • Board Certified in Marital & Family Law
  • Nearly 30 Years of Experience in Family Law
  • Personalized Attention for Individual Needs
Contact Us Today We're Here to Help

Fill out the form below or feel free to call us at (904) 849-5183. We also offer remote video & Zoom conferences.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy