How to Stop Your Florida Divorce

rings and gavel

Can You Cancel a Florida Divorce?

In Florida, the courts allow for a simple divorce termination process. It takes less time to void a divorce than it does to file for one. In fact the family courts in this state have made it so easy to reverse a divorce that the parties only need one form. This is called a Notice of Voluntary Dismissal. If you are the one who petitioned for the divorce but your spouse filed a counter-petition, then he or she will be responsible for filling out this form.

A notice of dismissal will not dismiss a counter-petition unless it is filed by the spouse who filed the previous document. Most courts won't accept these forms unless the information has been printed in black ink or typed on a computer in the correct fields. If you have assistance with filling out the form, but your helper is not a legal professional, then that individual will also need to provide his or her name and address at the bottom of the document.

If you have a lawyer on your side, you will have an easier time filing this form effectively and quickly. You will take the document to your local court and will need to file the original copy. You will then need to go to the office of the Clerk of the circuit Court where you filed your divorce and explain that you want to terminate the divorce process and resume your marriage. You will want to present additional copies of the Notice of Voluntary Dismissal form to any parties involved in your divorce case.

This includes all attorneys, your spouse, and any other court officials or counselors that you have been working with. These copies of the form can be e-mailed or hand delivered. After this is complete, the court will generally recognize that your marriage has been restored and will discontinue your divorce case. If you want more information about this process, or about another aspect of family law, contact Charles E. Willmott, P.A. today!

Related Posts
  • Social Media & Family Law Cases Read More
  • How to Appeal a Child Custody Order Read More
  • Can The Judge Make My Lender Take My Name Off The House? Read More