What Will Happen In My Divorce If I Saved All The Money And My Spouse Did Not Work?

Our state is what is known as an equitable distribution state. This means that all marital assets and debts will be divided as close to 50/50 as possible between the two parties, providing that neither party contests the terms of the divorce. There are circumstances however when one party may not believe the other party should receive an equitable distribution of assets. For example, if you were the sole income earner during the course of your marriage, you saved all the money and your spouse did not work, you may want to request that the judge consider distributing assets commensurate to your financial contributions to the marriage.

Under certain circumstances, a judge may be willing to award a less than equitable distribution of assets however these types of scenarios are few and far between. Hiring a skilled Jacksonville divorce attorney at Charles E. Willmott, P.A. will considerably increase your chances of being able to seek more than 50% of the marital assets and property. The attorney at our firm have close to nearly 30 years of legal experience and you can trust that we will do everything possible to help you contest the terms of your divorce and aggressively represent you in your pursuit of a more favorable distribution of assets and property.

Our lead attorney is a board-certified divorce attorney with a Martindale-Hubbell® BV Distinguished® Rating. We have handled countless divorce cases and we are well-aware of the complications that can arise during the divorce process. To negate these types of issues, we work diligently with our clients to provide them with a hard-hitting strategy that can help protect their interests and preserve assets that are rightfully theirs. If you need help protecting your assets and defending your interests during divorce proceedings, our firm is here to help. Call our firm now so that we can review your case and advise you on what your next step will be.

Related Posts
  • Social Media & Family Law Cases Read More
  • How to Appeal a Child Custody Order Read More
  • Can The Judge Make My Lender Take My Name Off The House? Read More