Permanent Alimony

Permanent Alimony in Jacksonville, FL

When would permanent alimony be awarded in a Florida divorce?

In a Florida divorce, the dependent spouse may be awarded one of six different types of alimony: temporary, durational, bridge-the-gap, rehabilitative, lump sum or permanent. Depending on the length of the marriage, the physical and emotional conditions of each spouse, the standard of living that was established during marriage and the level of income that each party has been able to contribute to the household, the presiding judge will make a determination accordingly.

If they decide that permanent alimony would be most appropriate, this is likely because a) one spouse has not worked and/or has a lower earning potential than the other, b) the supporting spouse has the ability to pay the requested amount of alimony and c) the couple has engaged in a long-term marriage (17 years or longer).

While it is possible for the court to award permanent alimony at the conclusion of a moderate-term marriage (between 7 and 17 years) or a short-term marriage (7 years or less), this is far less common. Under these circumstances, the dependent spouse may need to show that exceptional circumstances have made it difficult for them to maintain the same standard of living as that of the one that was established during marriage—which may be the case if they have suffered a serious injury or acquired an incurable disease, for example.

Since the family court system is typically more inclined to award temporary or durational alimony, however, it is highly recommended that you seek the assistance of an attorney from Charles E. Willmott, P.A. when pursuing permanent financial support.

Seeking Lasting Support After a Divorce? Consult Charles E. Willmott, P.A.

If you have made the decision to file for divorce in Florida, you may be wondering how you will be able to keep up with your own financial obligations once you have been stripped of your spouse's supporting income. Although durational or temporary alimony would give you time to get back on your feet, you may be interested in pursuing a more long-lasting form of financial support.

Under these circumstances, it is recommended that you seek permanent alimony under the experienced guidance of a lawyer from Charles E. Willmott, P.A. When you turn to my firm for help, you can rest assured that I can fight vigorously on your behalf. I understand that this is a crucial aspect of your divorce, so I will do everything in my power to secure a favorable outcome.

To learn more about how the legal team at my firm can assist you, call today at (904) 849-5183.

See What our Clients Say

Dedicated To Client Satisfaction

  • "Charles Willmott is a dedicated professional who will speak the truth. Mr. Willmott is straightforward with his clients and is willing to listen. He can take what at times can be very messy situations and come up with a clear plan of action."
  • "I was a mess the first day I met with him; he immediately put my mind at ease and explained the different outcomes my divorce may have had. He's extremely knowledgeable, upfront, and honest."
  • "I have been a client of Charles for almost nine years, and he has never let me down. He always told me what to expect and has been right every time."
Your Family Deserves Dedicated Attention
  • Certified Family Law Mediator
  • Board Certified in Marital & Family Law
  • Nearly 30 Years of Experience in Family Law
  • Personalized Attention for Individual Needs
Contact Us Today We're Here to Help

Fill out the form below or feel free to call us at (904) 849-5183. We also offer remote video & Zoom conferences.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy