Can I File for Divorce Without Hiring a Lawyer?

There are two main types of divorce in the state of Florida. The first one is an uncontested divorce wherein both parties are able to come to an amicable agreement as to the terms of their divorce. The second is a contested divorce in which the parties do not agree on one or more issues in the divorce so they opt to relegate that responsibility to the court.

While it is possible to file for an uncontested divorce without hiring a lawyer, particularly when it is a simple divorce that involves no spousal support payments, no child custody, and no major property or asset division, an experienced divorce lawyer can prove to be a valuable asset, as the process will move ahead quickly and smoothly with no errors or delays, and all filings completed correctly. In a contested divorce, it is imperative that you are represented by a highly qualified divorce lawyer with extensive knowledge and experience at trial.

In an uncontested divorce, a lawyer will be able to help you file all the necessary documentation and paperwork in a timely manner. You can avoid losing certain rights or financial support and it is important that you do not sacrifice unnecessarily. In a contested divorce, a lawyer at Charles E. Willmott, P.A. will be focused on ensuring that your right interests are protected. Your objectives are important, and he will listen, and advise you about how to move forward and pursue the settlement you envision.

A final divorce decree is a court-issued document that is legally binding. It is worth the time and effort to do everything possible to ensure your interests are protected both during divorce negotiations and at trial. As a board certified Jacksonville divorce lawyer, with close to nearly 30 years experience practicing divorce and family law, he stands ready to help you seek a fair resolution in this difficult legal matter. Contact his firm to discuss your situation. Your choice of a divorce lawyer could make a significant impact on the final divorce settlement, order or agreement.

Related Posts
  • Social Media & Family Law Cases Read More
  • How to Appeal a Child Custody Order Read More
  • Can The Judge Make My Lender Take My Name Off The House? Read More